Saturday, May 12, 2012

Black Forest Trifle

O.K. my quest to bring you the recipes for a lavish tea party is over. I am turning my attention to a  really nice Summer dish  a Black forest trifle.Many of you would probably think that trifle is a relatively modern dish as did I, But I was surprised that the earliest known use of the word trifle was recorded to be in 1596 in England,it was known to be a thick cream flavoured with Ginger and Rose water.Later on around 1747 came the introduction of gelatin or jelly.Whilst I'm sure I have not pioneered this recipe I can highly recommend this dish especially on a hot summers day.Not entirely sure what day summer falls on in the U.K.  this year but you can be sure I will be ready with this recipe so without any more waffle here is the recipe so that you to can be ready.





Black Forest Trifle

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

6 thin slices chocolate butter cream Swiss roll
2 x 400 g/ 14 oz can black cherries
2 tbsp kirsch
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
2 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
425 ml/ 3/4 pint/ 1 1/4 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1 egg
75 g/ 2 3/4 oz dark chocolate
300 ml/ 1/2 pint/ 1 1/4 cups double (heavy) cream, lightly whipped

To Decorate:

dark chocolate, melted
maraschino cherries (optional)

Instructions

1.Place the slices of chocolate Swiss roll in the bottom of a glass serving bowl.

2.Drain the black cherries, reserving 6 tbsp of the juice. Place the cherries and the reserved juice on top of the cake. Sprinkle with the kirsch.

3.In a bowl, mix the cornflour (cornstarch) and caster (superfine) sugar. Stir in enough of the milk to mix to a smooth paste. Beat in the egg yolks and the whole egg.

4.Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling, then gradually pour it on to the egg mixture, whisking well until it's combined.

5.Place the bowl over a pan of hot water and cook over a low heat until the custard thickens, stirring. Add the chocolate and stir until melted.

6.Pour the chocolate custard over the cherries and cool. When cold, spread the cream over the custard, swirling with the back of a spoon. Chill before decorating.

7.To make chocolate caraque, spread the melted dark chocolate on a marble or acrylic board. As it begins to set, pull a knife through the chocolate at a 45oC angle, working quickly. Remove each caraque as you make it and chill firmly before using.

Macs Tip

Always add the milk to the egg mixture to prevent burning.

Chocolate facts

Chocolate is actually a valuable energy source. A single chocolate chip can provide enough energy for an adult human to walk 150 ft.

2 comments:

  1. All of these ingredients do come together for some awesome taste. Love this blend and have been looking for some fresh cherries. I am never without kirsch either. Wish I could have a spoonful of that-yum! Also the layering looks perfect. In addition you did a great job with the photo, I always have glare issues when I use clear glass. Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it Tina,As for the photo I have a special spot where I take my photos close to a window I am only using a mobile phone, I can only take photos at certain times of the day so the automatic flash does not go off,you probably would have noticed some glare on the edge of some of my pic's but I'm no David Bailey,

    ReplyDelete

At Mac- chocolaterecipes I really do appreciate your thoughts and comments on the recipes I provide so please take a minute to post them,Thankyou

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...